Saturday 30 May 2009

Characters

Six chapters in and I couldn't be happier with how this is going. I am still a long way from the finish line but everything is moving along nicely.

As I mentioned previously my characters are beginning to come alive, beginning to act on their own. I have divided them up for you into protagonists and antagonists. (All names are just working names and are subject to change)

Protagonists:

Sidney Hollinger: The hero of the piece, killed in a hit and run accident Hollinger has come back from the dead with psychic powers and he doesn't know why. He was a rebellious youth but has worked all his life in menial work being beaten down by the system unable to change anything. The main thrust of the story is his journey from someone who is submissive and events carry him along into a strong individual who takes charge of his life. I have put a lot of myself into this character even though he is a good twelve years older than me. I tried to imagine what I would be like if I had stayed in my dead end office job. I have also used Winston Smith from Nineteen Eighty-Four and Bernard Marx from Brave New World as inspiration for this character.

Nick: The mysterious stranger who knows a lot more than he is letting on. He helps Hollinger discover and use his powers and he is not what he appears to be.

WPC Hayes: This heroine is damaged goods, abused as a child she threw herself into the police for what she sees as all the right reasons. She is willing to go to lengths that the other heroes may not.

Sam Worthington: A journalist, confident, cocky and naive. This character is the me that was. An uber lefty, he sees the way of the world as a problem that can be fixed, he hasn't yet been disillusioned. And that is all you are getting on this guy, there are twists coming up that I am NOT going to reveal in this blog.

Leonard Noone: A reality TV star whose actions - although they seem irrelevant at the time - have a massive impact. He suffers from depression and sex and drug addictions. His story is one of redemption.

Antagonists:

The Praying Mantis: A serial killer whose actions bring the cast of protagonists together.

Gabriel: Quite literally the angel of death. Hollinger has cheated him and he is out to get his soul.

The Government: Yes I know that old chestnut. The backdrop of the story is a pre-dystopia, the events leading up to a Big Brother style dictatorship taking control. I believe that it adds a bit more flavour to the world I have created and if I write a sequel - I have a whole "Hollinger Trilogy" planned out - they will have a more central role as the villains.

So yeah, all in all it is going really well. I still reckon that I won't be finished this year but if I am going to do this I need to do it properly.

Hasta la vista, baby.

No comments: