Wednesday 20 May 2009

Between the Spirit & the Dust

Wow - what a week!

Anyone who follows me on Twitter will already know that I have suffered from writers block recently; I couldn't seem to get anything down on the page. But the last few days something just clicked and I couldn't stop writing if I tried. First drafts of chapters 2 and 3 are done I am half way through chapter 4.

I have had to change the title of the book. "Sympathy for the Devil" is already taken, not just by any writer but by Holly Lisle whose workshops and web pages I use as a resource regularly (if you are interested in becoming a writer I strongly recommend visiting http://hollylisle.com/)

The working title is now "Between the Spirit & the Dust". It is a reference this Emily Dickinson poem:

Death is a Dialogue between
The Spirit and the Dust.
"Dissolve" says Death -- The Spirit "Sir
I have another Trust" --

Death doubts it -- Argues from the Ground --
The Spirit turns away
Just laying off for evidence
An Overcoat of Clay.

Next week I will give a bit more of an insight to my characters, but right now I am going to crack on with finishing chapter 4. Strike whilst the iron is hot so they say. Whoever they are.

No comments: