Tuesday 2 December 2008

Rip-offs, Reality TV and Remakes

As I said last week the ideas that I have for plots and stories come pretty easy to me, but tying them all together coherently has been a problem. I've had a load of idea's recently that I am going to share and hopefully one of these will be worth working on in the near future.

So why am I not scared that people may steal my idea's if I put them online?

Because every idea that I am ever going to have for the writing of a story has already been written a million times before and will be written a million times again, but the essence of the characters and the spirit of the writing will come directly from the writer... and no one can steal that.

Also I don't expect anyone to read this anyway...

My first idea, for example, has been done to death countless times - a cop in a cat and mouse game with a serial killer.

But I am going to tweak the formula a little, it won't be as black and white as that. The cop is working on the serial killers case but the killer leaves no clues beyond his calling card, frustrated the cop uses the killers MO to get rid of criminals who have got away with crimes on technicalities (therefore becoming a criminal himself). As a result messing with the killers grand plan the cop becomes a target of the killer...

I am going to have to give a bit more thought to the killer, I don't like 2D villains and I need to find a way to make him/her more complex or sympathetic... watch this space.

My next idea focuses on a former reality TV contestant whose star is waning, and becomes involved with a group of anarcho-terrorists who challenge the authority of the totalitarian government. The guy doesn't believe in their principles and is just using them to keep himself in the public eye, the anarchists are just using him to further their political agenda.

I am going to use multiple points of view to tell this story, one from the point of view of the media, following the story from a tabloid's-eye-view. Another is from the point of view of the leader of the government. As I said earlier I don't like 2D villains, this guy will be a fascist, but he truly believes in fascism and doesn't understand why people oppose him. He just wishes to be accepted and loved by his people because he believes he is doing what is best for them. This means that I am going to have to adopt the mindset of a fascist, there may be danger of me going native. So if you see me in the future walking down the street with a skinhead and a swastika tattoo, just shoot me... its the kindest thing to do.

Lastly, I am going to rewrite Shakespeare and set it in my beloved hometown of Manchester. It is about the dangers of a lust for power and the betrayal of friends. I am going to call it Mancbeth... no really!

So that's just a few idea's, they aren't really thought out properly and need a lot of work, but its a start.

Exit, pursued by a bear.

No comments: